You just paid over 20K for your dream wedding? You got your happily-ever-after? You just got back from your honeymoon? Chances are you do not want to spend 200-500$ to get your dress cleaned, dry-cleaned and preserved.
I love DIYs! This is why I searched all over the internet how to clean my wedding dress without the huge bill hanging over my head.
How to Clean your Wedding Dress for 5$
What You Need:
- A toothbrush or a white cloth for scrubbing
- Oxi Clean Versatile Stain Remover Powder
This product is probably one the best things invented for DIY brides like myself. I bought this at Walgreens for 4$ (-1$ manufacturer coupon). It can also be found at Dollar General for 3.50$. It removes stains from white and even colored clothes, so you can still use it once you are done cleaning your dress.
5 STEPS TO CLEANING YOUR DRESS, LEAVING IT STAIN-FREE (OR ALMOST)
1. Inspect your dress to look for any tough stains (like wine, grease, etc.).
2. Rinse your dress. I had to do this thoroughly because I had make up stains and beach sand on my dress.
3. Fill your bathtub with warm water (not too hot) and put laundry detergent in it. Add 2 cups of Oxi Clean Stain remover powder. Put dress in for 2-3 hours.
4. In a small bowl, add warm water and Oxi Clean Powder. Use your toothbrush/white towel and scrub GENTLY all the major stains.
5. Keep dress in bathtub overnight. In the morning, rinse dress and hang on a garment clothing rack and leave it in the bathtub so that the water does not drip on the floor, like this:
PLEASE DO NOT HANG YOUR DRESS ON A HANGER WHILE IT IS STILL WET! This will damage the dress! The bottom of the dress will most likely have a lot of water and will pull the top of the dress. This is why you need to gently put the dress on a garment rack so that both sides of the dress are evenly drying on the rack.
Depending on how big your dress is, it will take a day for it to dry.